The following are my best practice recommendations for Live HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS) with Adobe Flash Media Server (FMS) 4.0.x:
- The first concept to understand is that FMS only responds to RTMPx requests and it is the Apache modules that enables HDS.
- FMS only responds to RTMP/E, RTMPS, RTMPT/E, and RTMFP
- The Apache modules respond to the HDS requests (.f4m, .f4f, .bootstrap, etc.)
- Apache and FMS do not communicate for HDS:
- FMS creates the HDS content in the specified directory
- The Apache modules will retrieve the content from that directory to deliver to the client